Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Marketing Guy

Dear Friend,

Somehow today, through no fault of my own, I ended up at a Marketing, pyramid-scheme presentation.
My roommate insisted that this was supposed to be a party. At least that was the implication when she told me about it the evening before.
In my mind I pictured a get together with several people, food, coffee and possibly some chatting.
What a got was a hotel conference room, full of zombie-like smiling people, no coffee and certainly no food.
I sat there listening to people talk about how they became rich in a matter of seconds and how I too, could also be that lucky for the reasonable price of $399.00.
I sat, half-listening, half counting the tiles on the wall and wondering how much oil he had to use to get his hair to stay that way.
There were three presenters: The slick maverick complete with tie and gold necklaces, the casual-looking overweight man, funny and amazingly ordinary, and of course, the kind older gentleman who assured everything in its entirety.
I was amazed how so many people could take this presentation seriously. They sat side by side, grinning ear to ear and clapping randomly at parts I really didn’t understand.
And yet somehow, like all the others I began to see how this could work, and started smiling myself.
It was like sinking into an ocean. I was surrounded, bombarded and bedazzled into thinking this too-good-to-be-true could actually be true!
Thank God I was able to get out of there before I signed my life away to a pyramid scheme.
Naturally I will be more careful when accepting party invites from now on.

Sincerely,
Mute

No comments:

Post a Comment